Perfect Mother’s Day escapes
SPAS, beach holidays, good food, wildlife experiences… here are some perfect ways to treat your mum this Mother’s Day around Asia.
Spa and health holiday
Asia is brimming with resorts with health treatments, massage, yoga and wholesome meals.
* Book her into an Ashram in India or a Buddhist retreat in Burma for some soul searching and contemplation
* For some serious indulgence she’ll love the spa treatments and massage in any number of Australian beach side or rainforest resorts
* Consider the Ayurvedic treatments for your mum in India’s south
* Combine her beach holiday in Phuket, Koh Samui or Phi Phi with the luxury of Thai massage and body treatments
Diving / Snorkelling
If mum’s the active type she’ll love to get a few dives under her belt.
* Get her to hang with the whale sharks at Ningaloo Reef, Western Australia
* Book her into world famous Sipadan in Malaysia so she can see turtles, parrotfish and hammerhead sharks
* Plunk her in the Andaman Sea’s rich waters near Phuket and the Phi Phi islands
For mothers that love to really let loose there are plenty of adventure options around Asia too.
* Send her off trekking in Nepal in the high Himalaya – she might like a porter too
* Get a few screams out of her on a bungy jump in New Zealand
* Take her to the Asahan River in Sumatra, Indonesia for some stellar white water rafting
* Get her climbing Malaysia’s highest peak – Kota Kinnabalu
* Hit the famed trails of New Zealand like the Milford Track or Routeburn
Food and wine tour
There are plenty of foodie escapes for those keen on the good stuff.
* Schedule a cooking class in the Vietnamese foodie capital of Hoi An so she can learn how to cook squid or make noodles
* A tour of Australia’s Apple Isle (Tasmania) might be just the thing visiting berry farms, buying fresh oysters, sampling fruit icecreams, specialty cheeses and fantastic local honey
* If she’s a foodie she could visit local markets in any Asian city like Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, Delhi, Hanoi – these can be with organised tours that combine it with a cooking class
* Send her out on a hawker centre tour of South East Asia for some seriously good food – peppered crabs in Singapore, laksa in Penang (Malaysia), pho bo in Hanoi (Vietnam)…
* Encourage her to restock her cellar visiting Australia’s famed wine regions such as the Hunter Valley (NSW), the Clare and Barossa Valleys (SA) or Margaret River (WA)
* Get her to meet the orangutan’s in Borneo (Sabah/Sarawak) or Sumatra (Indonesia)
* Take her on a safari in an Indian game park to see such rare animals as the Asiatic Lion, wild ass, Indian elephant Himalayan Tahr
* Have her visit a wildlife park in Australia to cuddle a koala, feed a kangaroo and marvel at a crocodile (from a distance!)
* Book mum into some elephant trekking in Thailand
* If she loves big animals there are plenty of elephant sanctuaries and orphanages in Asia such as the Pinnawala orphanage near Kandy, Sri Lanka