Guest post: getting a D-10 visa

CISK note: this guest post comes from Rajnesh Sharma, a Canadian journalist who has traveled to nearly 30 countries to gain insight into cultural issues. When not enthralled in storytelling, she is intrigued by movies, reading and nature. Her sense of adventure includes scuba diving, trekking and rafting. A pristine beach, fine dining and dancing the night away are her remedies for relaxation. 

These days, obtaining an E2 visa status has become an arduous undertaking. The Korean immigration has set high standards that require but are not limited to: notarizing diplomas, ordering sealed transcripts, presenting a nationwide criminal record check, and participating in a multitude of health checks. Imagine the agony of repeating this expensive and time-consuming procedure every time you decide to change your job. Fortunately, the advent of the D10 visa is a reason for utter celebration.

This special visa status permits a foreigner to stay in Korea for a extensive period of 6 months, solely for the purpose of seeking employment. The process of attaining a D10 visa is  extremely simple. Whether you are leaving a job prematurely or have successfully completed your contract, It is absolutely essential for you to request a “Letter of Release” from your
present employer. Upon termination, head promptly to the immigration office with your LOR, current ARC, passport, and W 60 000. At immigration fill out the appropriate application form and submit all the required documents and money to an official. Your ARC with a D-10 visa status should typically be available within a month.

If for whatever reason, you need to prove your D10 visa status to an authority (i.e. bank, employer), you can easily pick up a certificate indicating your changed status. At the immigration office, the certificate is usually available within a week, for a cost of W 1 000.

If however, you plan on departing Korea before or after applying for a D10 visa, it is highly recommended that you thoroughly inquire at the immigration office as to how long you can be abroad. Personally, after the completion of my contract, I visited Canada for 2.5 weeks and upon returning to Korea I applied for a D10 visa. I had no problems.

Unfortunately, if you are not successfully hired within 6 months, you must leave the country. If however you do find that ideal job, you are in for a stupendous treat. To change your D10 visa status back to an E-2 visa, will be a piece of cake. There is absolutely no need to laboriously gather all those documents again. Your new employer should accompany you to immigration and present the official with your D-10 visa-ARC and new working contract; along with your passport, photos, application form, and W 50 000. You can expect to pick up your E2-visa within a month.

Thanks, Raj! If you have an interesting perspective to Korea, or would like to write a guest post of your own, please contact me at chrisinsouthkorea AT gmail DOT com. Please read the guest posting guidelines first 🙂