Tourism in Thailand expected to bounce back after spate of bombings
THE tragic bombings last week that left four dead in Thailand’s popular tourist areas Phuket and Hua Hin have certainly put a dent in its tourism industry.
Several foreign embassies in Thailand were advised to warn their nationals about the incident, while many nations put out warnings about travel in Thailand.
The US embassy advised its citizens to avoid the affected areas, and to constantly be aware of their surroundings. The Australian and Japanese embassies echoed similar sentiments following the bombings.
The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) predicted that the country may lose 100,000 to 200,000 foreign visitors following the blasts, which could result in losses up to US$290 million.
However, the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC) has expressed optimism about Thailand’s tourism industry recovering soon.
— Richard Barrow (@RichardBarrow) August 17, 2016
WTTC’s president and chief executive officer David Scowsill said, “Having spoken with Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul, [Thailand’s] Minister of Tourism and Sport, security steps are being taken by the government.”
We are confident that the situation will stabilize and return to normal very quickly, as it has done after challenges in the past.”
Despite the bomb attack at the Erawan Shrine in Bangkok in August 2015, Thailand’s visitors grew by 20 percent last year to 30 million travelers and the money they spent grew by 25 percent over the same period. The country will continue to be a key tourism destination for travelers.”
Several key events are expected to carry on in Thailand such as the World Tourism Day celebrations on September 27.
The United Nations World Tourism Organization secretary-general Taleb Rifai said, “More than ever we need to work together to make a great success out of the celebrations of World Tourism Day; this will be the best expression of support and union against these hideous acts.”
The annual Hua Hin Jazz Festival will also continue as planned.
— BBC Travel (@BBC_Travel) August 17, 2016
Tourist police commander Pol Maj-Gen Surachet Hakparn said that an additional 800 tourist police will be deployed in tourist-heavy areas on top of the current 900 already on duty.
Meanwhile, Kobkarn added that Pokémon GO will be used to restore tourists’ confidence, and the ministry will work with game developers to add Pokéstops and Gyms in various safe tourist destinations.