The largest Universal Studios in Asia is set to open in 2021
CHINA’S sprawling capital city of Beijing will soon welcome a brand spanking new attraction which is sure to have travelers, both local and international, arriving in droves.
Set to open its doors in the spring of 2021 is the long-awaited Universal Studios Beijing will become the fifth Universal Studios-branded theme park in the world, the seventh Universal-built park overall, and the third in Asia, after Universal Studios Japan and Universal Studios Singapore.
Housed in the 990-acre Universal Beijing Resort, Universal Studios Beijing will be approximately 130 acres in size. And upon opening, Universal Studios Beijing will become the largest Universal Studios outlet in Asia.
It will be supplemented with two hotels and a shopping center, as well as seven themed zones surrounding a lake. As per standard Universal Studios themed park requirements, most of Universal Studios Beijing’s themed zones will be based on a movie, book, or a television series which are Universal-owned assets.
At the time of writing, the themed zones (which are subject to change) are:
- Hollywood: Themed after the real Hollywood Boulevard of the 1970s. This area also acts as the entryway to the rest of the park.
- Jurassic World: Themed after the Jurassic World movie franchise.
- Waterworld: Themed after Waterworld. Universal Studios Beijing will be the first Universal theme park to have a dedicated Waterworld themed zone.
- Kung Fu Panda: Themed after DreamWorks Animation’s Kung Fu Panda movie series.
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: Themed after the highly successful Harry Potter book and film series.
- Transformers: Themed after the Transformers media franchise.
- Minions/Despicable Me: Themed after Illumination’s Minions and Despicable Me franchise. Universal Studios Beijing will be the second Universal theme park to have a Despicable Me themed zone after Universal Studios Japan.
According to reddit, upon full completion, Universal Studios Beijing will boast 16 rides, nine shows, and three or four rollercoasters.
Popular theme park construction forum ThemeParkX has also been consistently posting timely updates about Universal Studios Beijing’s development.
The first phase of the project will cover a total area of 1.6 square kilometers with an investment of CNY46 billion yuan (US$6.8 billion). Construction of the project’s first phase will conclude by October 2020.
Meanwhile, a subway station for Universal Studios Beijing will be built by the third quarter of 2019 and ready for service by the end of the year.
The highly anticipated Universal Studios Beijing is expected to attract over three million visitors annually. It promises a chockfull of fun to be had so watch this space!